This December, some new drivers may wake up Christmas morning to find keys to a car in their stocking. As they prepare to move out of the home and on to college, parents are buying their kids ‘starter’ cars that they know they can depend on.
Of all the things parents most want their teenage drivers to have in a European import, safety is a top concern, so options like the Porsche 944 have been deliberately left off the list in favor of the more stable, dependable, and safe cars. Here’s a list of the top parent-approved European import cars for young drivers!
- Volkswagen Passat (2009 - ): Most importantly, the Passat are considered very safe, which is why they make the top of the list! Passats are well-rounded performers that just happen to come packaged in luxury.
- Audi B7 A4: A luxury car with a lot to offer, this import is much more popular in northern states. But it has many fine features, such as the Quattro AWD, and properly tuned-up, makes a good first European car for the teenagers.
- Volkswagen Jetta (2016 - 2018): This small sedan is stylish and functional and like many Volkswagens, safe (IIHS Top Safety Pick+ designation). Your teen will love the Remote Vehicle Access feature, which allows them to start the car or unlock the doors from their smartphone. Roomy in the back with zip when you need them Sufficiently moderate on fuel performance, the Jettas are available in Manual or Automatic.
- Volkswagen Type 1 (Bug): The VW Bug is still out there on the road, still dependable, still incredibly cheap to maintain, and still loved. Parents love it for the nostalgia of having owned one somewhere along the way themselves.
- BMW E30: This is the one to beat, the one every teen wants as their first car. A manual transmission, stylish, car that comes in many different configurations (coupe, convertible, wagon, or sedan), the E30 is loved for its resilience and class.
If you need a pre-purchase inspection on a used car you’re thinking of buying, make an appointment with the auto mechanics at Foreign Autohouse in Folsom today! Just click on this link to schedule an appointment. We’re at 301 Blue Ravine Rd., Folsom, CA 95630. Our hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM (we close 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM for lunch on those days).